When it comes to self defense, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a MUST and the reason is simple: REAL fights end up on the ground.
Before the fight even ends up on the ground however, here is how training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu will have prepared you for the real world situation:
1. Training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu cannot be faked. You have to put the time in to develop you skill set and in doing so, will improve your overall physical conditioning. When you are training, even going at sixty-percent, you are training your body and mind on how to react to improve you position – whether it is to secure a submission, escape from being placed in to a bad position, or looking to secure and maintain a dominate position.
2. During your training you weren’t wearing pads. Since you didn’t have a chest protector, a helmet, or gloves on during your sparring sessions, you won’t have a sense of false confidence. Wearing pads is a stand up martial art like Tae Kwon Do allows the practitioner to rely on the pads for staying protected instead of their technique.
3. You will have been placed in numerous bad positions. Whether you’re placed in side-control, mounted, or back-control, you will have had plenty of teammates attempting to choke you into submission. Being in all of these bad positions will have taught you the importance of staying calm while still being able to protect yourself, without exposing yourself to be placed in greater danger.
4. Even before the fight goes to the ground, you can use your Brazilian Jiu Jitsu while standing. Now don’t go pulling guard in a street fight, but when someone grabs you, you’re training of BREAKING GRIPS becomes vital. How can they take you to the ground if they cannot get a hold of you? Likewise, you can use your BJJ to control your opponent even while standing or use it to take them to the ground to subdue them if need be.
5. Granted, there are techniques that you would use as your go to self defense move, such as The Berimbolo, Spider Guard, or Flying Arm Bar. However, being able to control the distance whether you are on your feet or on your back is something you will have drilled every day during your training. If you are able to lay on your back and keep your attacker at bay with low place kicks to their shins and knees, it will be harder for them to cause you bodily harm.
6. Finally, if you are looking for that NUMBER ONE reason as to why Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is vital for self defense, it’s this: Most fights start when egos get involved. Training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu will put your ego in check, make you more relaxed, and thus help you avoid a confrontation before it even starts.
Just like the conversation between Mr. Miyagi and Daniel LaRusso in the ORIGINAL Karate Kid, you train BJJ so you don’t have to fight.