Your friends raved about your skills. Whether it was your cooking, your artwork, your woodworking, or your ability to repair cars.
You found a location, came up with a business plan, and found a bank that would give you the money to open up your business. The BANK doesn’t care if you succeed or fail as they will get their money back one way or another.
Your friends like your business on Facebook and they check in every time that they come in to your business to help promote you to their friends, but you really need to have a plan.
If you do not know anything about me, here’s what you need to know: I’ve been working in broadcasting since 1999 and I have seen plenty of businesses come and go. I’ve been to plenty of these businesses and their friends were there from time to time and I would have to admit, the food was good.
However, I cannot dine out EVERY NIGHT. Nobody I know of can dine out every night, yet the AVERAGE DINER will shell out over $2,500 dining out this year.
Product, Location, and Marketing are the Triple Threat to a successful business.
Harley Davidson, Pizza Hut, Coca Cola, McDonald’s, Chevrolet ALL started out small and to this day they are still marketing their products. Sure, they have loyal consumers and have a strong brand, but they are always looking to add to their list of consumers.
McDonald’s doesn’t simply rely on their heritage to sell burgers. They market that they have a new store opening and they continue to advertise their burgers, fries, McRib, Shamrock Shakes, and Happy Meals all year long. Think about: How long has it been since you have seen or heard a marketing piece for McDonald’s?
In a given week you will be exposed to more marketing from McDonald’s than Hardee’s, Burger King, Wendy’s, Smash Burger, and Meathead’s COMBINED.
How many businesses along Veterans Parkway have come and gone? How about Downtown Bloomington and Uptown Normal?
If you’re reading this and my advice is sinking in, but you think that advertising on ROCK RADIO isn’t right for you, remember this: You don’t advertise on your favorite station. You advertise on the station that is going to reach your target audience and a station that will introduce your business to a whole new audience.
I’m 37 and I work at a ROCK Station.
I am in the middle of our Target Audience, which means:
- I’m looking for care for my Children, Parents and Grand Parents
- I’m looking for NEW places to eat BUT I don’t want to forget about my favorite places
- I need PROS to help me with home and auto repairs
- I’m looking to Rent or Buy/Sell a Home
- I’m considering a Home Security System
- My kitchen appliances are over 6 years old and should be replaced within the next two-years when their warranties expire
- I don’t have the time to take care of my lawn due to all of the activities I have my girls in
- I need time for myself – Hit the Gym so I can be there for my family that works with MY schedule
- If I can’t make it to the GYM, I want the equipment in my house
- A Hot Tub or Pool is something I own or am considering to purchase
- I’m likely to adopt a pet, so I need to know about Veterinarians and Groomers
Since we have a young family we’re looking for information on:
- Family Photographer
- Banks and Credit Unions
- Life Insurance
I have a wife, so I need to know more about places that cater to the ladies so I can take care of my wife.
- Spa and Nail Treatments
- House Cleaning
- Hair Salons
- Jewelry Stores
So if you own a business and you’re looking for help with your marketing and branding, please feel free to contact me.
If you know someone that runs a business, please feel free to share this blog with them.